There are life events that I find so provoking ,disturbing, heart breaking and dehumanizing that I have to respond and critically raise my visual voice in hope that it will bring awareness and make some changes in people minds and activism. The political issues are often personal or become personal issues that create much pain and rage.
My work is informed
by a critical, feminist multiculturalism and deals with survival, identity and
healing. I am concerned with the artistic themes of presence and absence,
visible and invisible, recognition and erasure that relate to human experiences. Visually I touch upon the fine line that divide, combined or touch these opposites themes, the meeting seem. I am interested in the form as complementary to its content and vise versa.
The materials I work with once combined in various juxtapositions are, for me, embodied with a complementary or conflicting cultural and psychological value and content. I have used and combined objects such as menstrual pads, earth, passports, dried garlic, nails, prayer rugs, gas masks, hair, soap, prayer books and other printed r written text. I use materials such as clay, plaster, resin, cardboard, paper and various fabrics. As a mixed media artists I make collage, assemblage, fiber art and installation. Within my art the juxtaposition of materials creates a dialogue of oppositions in the materials and ideas and expresses questions about existence.
Dafna Rehavia Education:
BFA & BED , Fine Arts. Beit Berl, Hamidrasha. Israel
MA CAT Art Therapy, Drexel University, Philadelphia, USA
PhD Therapeutic Arts, Psychology & Cultural Studies. Derby University, UK
Gestalt Institute of Pittsburgh.
RELATIONSHIPS - Mixed Media Sculpture, Framhous, Jssk Gallery, PSA Guild, Pittsburgh, PA US - 2016
CUTTING I - Mixed Media Fiber , AGORA Gallery, Chelsea International , New York City, NY - 2015
TICKING TIME - Triptych assemblage, AAP Gild. Pittsburgh Center for the Arts. ,Pittsburgh, PA, US 2006
KOSHER CRUSADE - Installation, Print Guild, Pittsburgh Center for the Arts, PA US 2004
List of Selected Exhibition
· Art advocacy speaks; art for social change. Spinning Plate, Pittsburgh, PA (International)
· Footsteps In The Sand, Pittsburgh Center for the Arts, Pittsburgh, PA (SOLO)
· Cutting, (FGM) Fiber International, Society for Contemporary Craft, Pittsburgh, PA (International)
· Relationships, Small Works, FrameHouse & Jask galley, PSA, Pittsburgh, PA (AWARD)
· Re new Festival. GPAC Pittsburgh exhibition. Pittsburgh, PA.
· Slippery Rock University, Global images of U.S. Women. US (Traveling Exhibition)
· Cycle, Chatham University Gallery. Curated exhibition. Micro/Macrocosms. Pittsburgh, PA.
· Lost Game, Carnegie International Response, 3ed St. .Gallery Carnegie, PA
· Menstrual Wedding Dress, Venues Madonna & Eve. Int. Images, Sewickley, PA
· Annual PSA, Father Ryan’s Art Center, McKee’s Rocks, PA
· Sanctuary, Panza Gallery, Melville, PA
· IN VISIBLE: When personal is Political, Modernformations Gallery, Pittsburgh, PA . (SOLO)
· Veterans Expression. FE Gallery. Pittsburgh, PA
· Collective, Christine Frechard Gallery, Pittsburgh, PA
· Shelter, One Mellon Center Gallery, Society for Contemporary Craft. Pittsburgh, PA.
· Associated Artists of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh Center for the Arts, Pittsburgh, PA
· Thread from the Body to Soul, Borelli Eduard Gallery, Pittsburgh, PA.
· Earth, Holocaust Memorial Exhibition, Lesley University Art Gallery Boston, MS
· ‘Earth and Fire’, Associated Artists of Pittsburgh, PCA, Pittsburgh, PA. (AWARD)
· ‘Testimony’ American Art Therapy Association, Sheraton, Chicago, IL
· Inside Out, Mendelson Gallery Pittsburgh, PA (SOLO)
· Women’s Reflection, Slippery Rock University, Slippery Rock, PA
· Witticisms, Criticisms, Cynicism, Print group Guild, PCA, Pittsburgh, PA.( AWARD)
· Open Spaces. Sarah Arman. Tel Aviv, Israel (SOLO)
2016 Pittsburgh Society of Artists, Framhouse & jack gallery. Pittsburgh, PA.
2015 Chelsea international competition, Agora Gallery, New York, NY
2006 Associated Artists of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh Center for the Arts. Pittsburgh, PA
2004 Pittsburgh Print Group Witticisms, Criticisms, Cynicism, Pittsburgh Center for the Arts. Pittsburgh, PA
Community Art Projects
2017 Crossing the Line - Stamp and Pulp Org Artists Talk social Discussion. Pittsburgh
2017 Art as Therapy workshops for refugees relocated in Pittsburgh.
2014 Little Stories in the Sand, part II, Radiant Halls Open House Studios
2013 Little Stories in the Sand, part I, Radiant Hall Open House Studios
2012 The “Face” of Epilepsy, Naamat House, Andy Warhol Museum, Ed. Exhibition.