SEPTEMBER: SPECIAL ARTIST CALL EXHIBITION CURATED BY DAFNA REHAVIA & TAYA HANAUER
"A transformation of the form or nature of a ‘thing’ or a person into a completely different one, by natural or supernatural means."
This show explores personal transformation as a result of a social and cultural experiences which may involve being dismissed, belittled, harmed, shifted into a different role, form or having a new sense of self. This call emerged from Kafka’s short story ‘Metamorphosis’: “One morning, as Gregor Samsa was waking up from anxious dreams, he discovered that…he had been changed into a monstrous bug…”
This is a call for autobiographical artworks in all mediums, reflecting on experiences of personal transformation and radical change. Such experiences are provoked by moments and processes of irreversible alterations in one’s life, causing shifts in one’s perception of themselves and the world, and the way one interacts in their social environment. During such processes, the appearance, identity, and roles one embodies may come to foreground and occupy a central place in daily life.
Please send the following information in a single PDF document
Page 1: Your name, email address, phone number, website, contact information.
Page 2: Motivation letter explaining your interest in participating and
your connection to the theme. (250 words max).
Page 3: A list of submitted works with your name, title of artwork,
medium, size, year, explanation/ story you would like to share. (keep it short)
Please submit 3 -5 images of your works (1200X1800 jpeg 300 dpi) under each
Image add a number (01_your name _ Image name_ medium)
Option: You may add to your PDF doc. A portfolio 3-5 pages with the images you submitted as jpeg,
on each page one image with the details above.
* If you wish to make new works for this exhibtion please mention it on your motivation letter and submit a few of your current artworks. You will be contacted by the curated.
*Once all submissions are received you will be contacted by email. You will get a detailed contract that
you will need to sign with Percolate Art Space Gallery including commission of 50% artist/ 50% gallery.
Please contact Dafna Rehavia if you need any help, [email protected] subject line; your name+ Name of exhibtion . Cell: 412 427 1219 only between 9:00pm-10:00pm
SEND ALL REQUIREMENTS TO:
Your information, email, phone number
All documents should be emailed to Dafna Rehavia and Taya Hanauer.
Email Address; [email protected]
Subject line: your name+ name of exhibtion
Deadline for this application is May 31, 2018. Midnight eastern time.
Any questions please call Dafna 412 427 1219 from 9:00-10:00pm or email to [email protected] subject line: your name + exhibtion name
ABOUT THE CURATORS:
Dafna Rehavia is an artist and art psychotherapist, living and working in Pittsburgh. She is interested in representations of phenomena interconnected to human condition: treating the body as a docile artifact, objectification of people and identity transformations.
Taya Hanauer is a writer, researcher and curator based in Amsterdam. She examines art historical materials and contemporary artworks as cultural objects and is interested in curatorial methodologies and strategies of bringing critique into the exhibition format.
05/31/18 (Midnight) - All submissions due.
- Notification of acceptance.
- Artists will receive gallery contracts via
- Artist/Curator Meeting
09/21/18 - Friday,
6:30 pm - 8:30 pm - Art Drop Off
09/29/18 - Saturday, 6:00 pm - 8:30 pm - Reception
at Percolate Gallery
12/02/18 - Sunday, 6:00 pm – 7:30 pm - Art
PERCOLATE INFORMATION INCLUDING MISSION
Percolate Art Space, Gallery and Laboratory
317 S. Trenton Avenue, Pittsburgh PA 15221.
Percolate is a community art space runs by Carolyn
Pierotti owner and director of PRFA, is here to serve the diverse community of
Wilkinsburg and Pittsburgh, supporting the manifestation of creative
expression. Percolate is also proud to bring quality programming to the
area through workshops and service that benefits the community.
Purple Room Fine Art and Percolate Art Space & Gallery https://www.purplepierotti.com/percolate-art-space.html
List of Selected Exhibition
· Art advocacy speaks; art for social change. Spinning Plate, Pittsburgh, PA (International)
· Footsteps In The Sand, Pittsburgh Center for the Arts, Pittsburgh, PA (SOLO)
· Cutting, (FGM) Fiber International, Society for Contemporary Craft, Pittsburgh, PA (International)
· Relationships, Small Works, FrameHouse & Jask galley, PSA, Pittsburgh, PA (AWARD)
· Re new Festival. GPAC Pittsburgh exhibition. Pittsburgh, PA.
· Slippery Rock University, Global images of U.S. Women. US (Traveling Exhibition)
· Cycle, Chatham University Gallery. Curated exhibition. Micro/Macrocosms. Pittsburgh, PA.
· Rituals and the Docile Body. CA Gallery Baltimore, MD, (SOLO)
· Cutting Series Suffolk University. Widening the Cycle, Boston, MA (International)
· Modernformations Retrospective. Pittsburgh, PA.
· Object I & I, Butler Ins. of American Art, AAP Annual. Howland Township. OH
· Remnant, Public Collection for hidden art works, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. (International)
· Annual exhibition of PSA, Panza Gallery. Millevaile. PA
· Malala, Small works, Most Wanted Fine Arts. Pittsburgh, PA.
· Lost Game, Carnegie International Response, 3ed St. .Gallery Carnegie, PA
· Menstrual Wedding Dress, Venues Madonna & Eve. Int. Images, Sewickley, PA
· Annual PSA, Father Ryan’s Art Center, McKee’s Rocks, PA
· Sanctuary, Panza Gallery, Melville, PA
· IN VISIBLE: When personal is Political, Modernformations Gallery, Pittsburgh, PA . (SOLO)
· Veterans Expression. FE Gallery. Pittsburgh, PA
· Collective, Christine Frechard Gallery, Pittsburgh, PA
· Shelter, One Mellon Center Gallery, Society for Contemporary Craft. Pittsburgh, PA.
· Associated Artists of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh Center for the Arts, Pittsburgh, PA
· Thread from the Body to Soul, Borelli Eduard Gallery, Pittsburgh, PA.
· Earth, Holocaust Memorial Exhibition, Lesley University Art Gallery Boston, MS
· ‘Earth and Fire’, Associated Artists of Pittsburgh, PCA, Pittsburgh, PA. (AWARD)
· ‘Testimony’ American Art Therapy Association, Sheraton, Chicago, IL
· Inside Out, Mendelson Gallery Pittsburgh, PA (SOLO)
· Women’s Reflection, Slippery Rock University, Slippery Rock, PA
· Witticisms, Criticisms, Cynicism, Print group Guild, PCA, Pittsburgh, PA.( AWARD)
· Open Spaces. Sarah Arman. Tel Aviv, Israel (SOLO)
2016 Pittsburgh Society of Artists, Framhouse & jack gallery. Pittsburgh, PA.
2015 Chelsea international competition, Agora Gallery, New York, NY
2006 Associated Artists of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh Center for the Arts. Pittsburgh, PA
2004 Pittsburgh Print Group Witticisms, Criticisms, Cynicism, Pittsburgh Center for the Arts. Pittsburgh, PA
Community Art Projects
2017 Crossing the Line - Stamp and Pulp Org Artists Talk social Discussion. Pittsburgh
2017 Art as Therapy workshops for refugees relocated in Pittsburgh.
2014 Little Stories in the Sand, part II, Radiant Halls Open House Studios
2013 Little Stories in the Sand, part I, Radiant Hall Open House Studios
2012 The “Face” of Epilepsy, Naamat House, Andy Warhol Museum, Ed. Exhibition.